How to Get the Cheapest Car Insurance
Your driving record is one of the most influential factors insurance companies use in setting your car insurance premiums. Getting the cheapest car insurance is possible if you drive safely, take care of your car and keep your driving skills up-to-date.
Drive With Care
If you want to get and maintain low car insurance rates, you must cooperate with the rules of the road for everyone's protection.
Perhaps the most important rules concern driving while impaired—one of the deadliest behaviors on the road.
Getting affordable insurance rates means never drinking and driving! Only one DUI can raise your rates hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
Likewise, driving when you are angry or tired detracts your attention from the road, endangering yourself and everyone around you and causing your insurance rates to go up.
If you begin taking new medication, make sure you understand any possible side effects beforehand. Some may impair your driving ability—with dangerous consequences.
Finally, never eat, drink or talk on a cell phone while driving. These activities also divert your attention, slow your response time and, in some states, may mean a traffic ticket!
Follow these tips to ensure safe driving and get the best insurance rates:
- Plan trips ahead of time, avoiding heavy traffic areas and poor weather conditions whenever possible. Plan the route you will take and your departure time, and allow extra time to arrive safely at your destination.
- Always wear your seat belt—and wear it correctly (over your shoulder and across your lap).
- Stay alert, keeping your eyes on the road at all times.
- Drive at or near the speed limit. Too fast or too slow can be dangerous!
- Keep sufficient distance between yourself and the car in front of you so you can stop quickly without endangering yourself or others.
- Use your turn signals, check your blind spots and be extra careful when approaching intersections.
Take Care of Your Car
Proper car care can also go a long way toward a safe journey and getting cheap car insurance. This includes the following precautions:
- Make sure you have plenty of gas in your car before taking off so you don't get stranded on the road.
- Keep your windshields and mirrors clean so your vision is clear.
- Replace windshield wiper blades as necessary to keep your vision unobstructed during a rainstorm.
- Have your car tuned up regularly so it operates at maximum efficiency.
Update Your Driving Skills
Taking a driver safety class is a great way to keep your driving skills up to date and get favorable car insurance rates. This type of class teaches you valuable skills to keep yourself and others around you safe on the road.
Whether taking a class of this kind to lower your current insurance rate or just to polish your skills, the knowledge gained from the educational experience can be invaluable.
To find a driver safety class near you, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommends calling one of the following programs:
National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course — 800-621-7619
Driving School Association of the Americas, Inc. — 800-270-3722
AARP 55 ALIVE Driver Safety Program — 888-227-7669
AAA Safe Driving for Mature Operators Program — Call your local AAA motor club to find a class near you.